If you are in Thailand during a full moon, it is a MUST to go to Koh Phangan to experience the Full Moon Party!
This is a once-in-a-lifetime CRAZIEST party you could possibly ever attend!
We went on January 12, 2017. We were told there were more than 20,000 people at the party on Haad Rin Beach!
Before you go:
- You need to get your party wear! Every single store near this beach is selling ‘Full Moon Party’ attire. Basically, the more neon you wear the better! Everything you can purchase is reasonably priced – anywhere between 100 – 200 baht per item (that’s about $3 – $6 usd). The crazier the outfit the more fun you’ll have!
- Make sure you drink a lot of water and get a decent sized meal before you go!
What To Expect:
- Basically this party is filled with loud music, dancing, fire signs, fire jump roping, fire performances, neon lights everywhere, and buckets galore!
- The music starts around 6 pm. There are giant speakers all over different sections of the beach and a ton of different parties going on! We started our way down to the beach around 7 pm. It was already filled with people! The party was still going strong at 7 am the next morning!
- We met so many interesting people from ALL over the world here! It was so fun talking with everyone!
- The most insane party you’ve ever attended!
Where Should You Stay?
There are a few options as to where you can stay. You can stay in town, just out of town, or not even book a room for that night (though make sure you can safely store your bags somewhere!). There are many hotels and hostels in the Coco Hut Village area which is where the party is. During the festivities, we met a few people who were staying on Koh Samui (island nearby), kept their bags at their hotel in Koh Samui, jumped on a ferry to Koh Phangan, partied all night, then caught the ferry back to Koh Samui the next morning. As for us though, we decided to stay at the Sunrise Resort Hotel literally right on Haad Rin Beach. We could step out of our hotel and right on to the sand!
- Pros: you are RIGHT THERE. No need to try to catch a taxi or figure out how you’re going to get back to your hotel after you’ve been drinking all night. Easy walk. BATHROOM – it was so nice to have free access to a bathroom! Almost all places charge for you to use their restroom during the party, usually about 30 baht.
- Cons: the party goes all night! We had to get up at 7 am to catch a ferry to another island and the music was still going strong! Our hotel room was actually slightly vibrating from the loud bass outside! You’ll want to book a room ahead of time, they fill up fast!
The Famous Buckets and Body Painting:
There are stands lining the entire beach selling buckets! Buckets are literally sand buckets that you fill with a pint of alcohol of your choice and 2 mixers. WATCH THEM POUR YOUR DRINK AND MAKE SURE THE BOTTLES HAVE NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY TAMPERED WITH AND STILL HAVE THEIR SEALS! My boyfriend actually had them hand him the bucket that we bought and he poured/mixed it himself. I have heard of people getting drugged by not paying attention. Buckets costs anywhere between 250-400 baht. We found an awesome alleyway leading to the beach. I’m unsure of how to write down the street name but it’s the alley that includes Mr.K’s Restaurant and the “At Phangan” hostel. When you buy a bucket on this road you also get free body paint! This is exactly what we did! Plus, the buckets are cheaper since you aren’t buying it directly on the beach. Getting painted can cost a pretty penny also so why not buy the cheaper bucket AND get a beautiful paint job at the same time?!
Fire Jump Roping:
The majority of our time spent at the Full Moon Party was watching people do the fire jump roping! I had seen videos of this online but to see it in person was INSANE! I had it set in my mind that I was going to give the fire jump roping a try! That was until we were watching people actually do it and witnessing people catching on fire! There were a few times people’s shirt’s caught on fire or it’d hit their head and you’d smell the slight burning hair smell. The worst was when this young man was jumping and the rope wrapped around his arm. It was a good 30 seconds before they were able to get it unwrapped. Once it was off his skin was bright pink and literally peeling off already. Besides that, we didn’t witness any major injuries. Two friends we were with jumped in and they had a blast! There are also a lot of people putting on fire shows and doing cool performances. Also, fire limbo!
Rule of Thumb :
- As for any night out, WATCH YOUR DRINK! There are lots of drugs here!
- Don’t bring anything of value with you to the party. Our friend literally had someone reach in to his pocket to try to steal from him, thankfully he didn’t have anything on him! Lot of pickpocketers here!
- BE SAFE! Make smart decisions. NEVER go anywhere alone!
- HAVE FUN! This will be the wildest, insane, and intense party that you’ll ever go to! ENJOY IT!